Pipe welding is a technique that joins two units as opposed to syncing them with bulky or expensive fittings. Our experience is that pipe welding produces a stronger end product that will stand up through time and use, whether the pipe is used to transport gases, chemicals or water.
Butt fusion welding a.k.a. hot plate welding is used for the fusion aligning of process pipes constructed of thermoplastics. Plastic pipe welding is used in the construction of patient monitoring devices, diagnostic instruments and machinery used in life-saving operations. Plastic process piping can be welded and installed for a variety of systems, including:
- Control systems
- Critical subsystems
- Monitoring systems
- Production systems
- Purification systems
- Storage systems
- Sensing systems
- Testing systems
Mastering the art of pipe welding takes a significant amount of education and continued on-the-job training. We are fortunate to have several journeymen expert welders in-house at Axenics. Utilizing their expertise has been a time- and money-saver for our customers in the fields of semiconductors, medical device manufacturing, life sciences, alternative energy and chemical manufacturing.
While pipe welding can be a time-consuming process, skilled welders utilize their experience to complete projects efficiently without sacrificing quality – and to your exact requirements and specifications.
The pipe welding process can include these steps:
- Preparing the joints
- Preparing the materials to be welded
- Assembling the joints
- Preheating the joints if/when necessary
- Removing the slag when necessary
- Removing the splatter
- Inspecting the welds and joints
- Changing the electrodes
- Changing the welding machine settings
- Repairing/reworking any defective welds
Axenics’ welders have extensive experience in both metal and plastic pipe welding techniques, though for many of our customers that have delivery systems that transfer volatile chemicals, we often recommend plastic pipe welding as a solution.
Productivity can be boosted by working with experts in plastic pipe welding. Axenics’ technicians have 35-plus years of experience in plastics fabrication. Our team is able to perform pipe welding on a variety of pure plastics, and we actually use a proprietary method specific to welding polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE/FPA), one of the toughest and most stable plastics available. Its ability to withstand exposure to potentially dangerous chemicals is unmatched.
We also create custom process piping solutions using:
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC), which is lightweight and rigid as well as known for its strength and fire retardant properties.
- Chlorinated Polyvinyl Chloride (CPVC), which is known for its ability to withstand high temperatures.
- Polypropylene (PP), which is known for its elasticity and high chemical resistance.
- High-density polyethylene (HDPE), which is known for its broad strength-to-density ratio.
- Polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF), which is a durable, strong plastic known for its ability to withstand harsh chemicals.
One of our primary focuses is high-precision plastic pipe welding for original equipment manufacturers. Technology innovations has created the demand for challenging, tiny weldments for life-saving device components. Our expert team of welders is consistently adding skills and evolving to meet and even exceed your expectations.