Precision Tube Bending is a Solution for Reducing Lead Time
As an alternative to welding, precision tube bending might be a service you want to consider for your next project. Axenics uses a computer numerical controlled (CNC) tube bender that can bend a variety of metals. This could be an ideal solution to improve lead time and save money for your gas and fluid system challenges.
The Horn Metric TBRE Hybrid CNC bender at Axenics has been in operation for three years at the facility in Nashua, New Hampshire, and has saved time and money for many of their clients along the way. In the nutshell, here’s how the bender works:
- Axenics receives a work order from a client, which goes to the kitting department
- Then, Axenics expert team of tube cutters receives a cut list
- The tube piece gets sized and receives a clean, dry cut (no oils used)
- The cut piece of tube is inserted into the bender’s mandrel and clamped down
- The CNC tube bender operator loads the program that includes the part number that informs the bender of the proper bend
- The CNC Operator presses a foot pedal to start the process (part of the safety features of the bender)
- Then, the tube is bent in less than one minute using the sheer force of the bender
The bender at Axenics offers two types of bending to for your manufacturing needs:
- With a mandrel on a pipe bender, where a tight radius is required
- With a three-roll bender to roll the tube/pipe, where a large radius is desired
In many instances, tubes would need multiple welds if not bent, which can be time-consuming and may not allow for the smoothest transfer of liquids or gases through the tube. Precision tube bending allows the clients at Axenics to eliminate the need to apply a large number of joints and fixtures that are required with joint welding. Those joints and fixtures add to the cost quickly, while a precision bend keeps expenses down and increases quality. By using a computer-controlled bending machine, defects in the final product are decreased.
With the bender performing the majority of the work, labor costs are kept down as well without the need for additional welders.
The Horn Metric TBRE Hybrid CNC bender is designed to keep tubes from breakage or wrinkling, making it a favored machine for its exceptional performance, versatility and reliability. Axenics utilizes the bender for its clients in various industries, including:
- Medical Device
The Horn Metric TBRE Hybrid is an electric/hydraulic CNC tube bender, combining electric drive bending with hydraulic bending actuation. The bender is environmentally-friendly, as it consumes a relatively small amount of power and produces low noise and heat. The clamp, pressure die, and pressure die assist are all hydraulic driven, while the mandrel is hydraulic with early withdrawal.
Another feature of the bender is its ability to import 3D designs using current software, simplifying the process for OEMs and contract manufacturers. The bender’s controls are easy to operate and program, allowing for 3D simulation. There is always easy access to online troubleshooting, too.
Perfection in precision tube bending requires both the inside and outside diameter to have zero imperfections. There’s no wrinkling and minimal wall thinning and flattening. It’s a skill we’ve honed for four decades. We also offer top-quality tube welding as both...
Our plastic pipe welding experts are always looking for new techniques, solving problems other manufacturers call “impossible.” This openness to new ideas benefits our customers because it allows them to see their concepts come to life. Solving a real corker of a...