Custom Plastic Fabrication and Tube Bending Solutions
Which will need repair or replacement sooner, a metal tube or a plastic tube? It depends on the specific construction material and usage. However, some people are surprised that we increasingly encourage customers to consider plastic fabrication for their gas and liquid delivery systems, production systems and purification systems.
Plastic fabrication is often a quicker and easier process than working with stainless steel. Plastics are generally more chemically-resistant than metals, which is great for use in manufacturing systems where oxidation and corrosion are concerns. Some thermoplastics have a high heat-resistance and won’t crack or melt when exposed to escalating temperatures.
Your Critical Subsystems are Our Priority. Click for Proof.
Malleable thermoplastics form easily into both basic and more complex shapes – far beyond what metals are capable of. Another advantage is the ability to color the plastics before fabrication, which reduces the need for additional finishing processes like painting and other post-fabrication processes.
The uses of your production equipment determine which plastics are ideal for the job. Axenics utilizes a wide variety of plastics, and some of the common types include:
- Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE/FPA): We have a versatile proprietary method of fabricating PTFE, which has increased customer demand in the plastic. PTFE/FPA is tough and stable, and its makeup has a high threshold for exposure to harsh chemicals.
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC): Lightweight PVC is rigid and versatile, making it a top choice for construction jobs. It’s also known for its fire-retardant properties.
- Chlorinated Polyvinyl Chloride (CPVC): CPVC withstands higher temperatures than other plastics, and is used for hot- and cold-water piping and industrial liquid transportation.
- Polypropylene (PP): PP has great elasticity and high chemical resistance, and is commonly used in the auto and textiles industries.
- High density polyethylene (HDPE): HDPE has a high strength-to-density ratio, and is often used in the production of thermoplastic lumber.
- Polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF): Axenics utilizes PVDF for industries such as chemical manufacturing and alternative energy, where high-purity is essential.
Tube Bending Solution
We commonly receive requests from the industries mentioned above for custom plastic fabrications. Every customer has a varying amount of space to expand production or add a new product line, so our engineers and technicians get very creative when figuring out how to fit all of the required components in a tight space. Thermoplastics such as PTFE, PP and PVC maintain their integrity when manufactured into tubing.
Our team performs custom tube bending as small as 1/16-inch or as wide as 2 inches. Axenics’ engineers have expertise in adding components and/or additional systems to your existing set up without compromising the integrity of your in-house systems.
Additional Plastic Tube Benefits
- Less raw material is required for plastic fabrication, creating a faster throughput.
- Production cycle times decrease as there are generally fewer fittings and welds – sometimes no welds or fittings are required.
- Vibration fatigue and failure can be a challenging issue in technology equipment, causing metal pipes to be replaced sooner. Plastic tube components decrease that risk.
- Utilizing precision tube bending for components decreases the likelihood of leaks that arise with welded joints.
Plastic tube delivery systems are durable and reliable solutions for our customers. Our plastic fabrication technicians are cross-trained on a wide variety of tasks, ensuring there is always an expert on the floor to oversee every stage of production.
Your Critical Subsystems are Our Priority.
Orbital tube welding is known as possibly the purest, cleanest welding process, but the orbital welding process is also an economical choice for those requiring weldment perfection, as evidenced in a new article published by The Tube and Pipe Journal (a sister...
Choosing whether metal or thermoplastic materials are the ideal solution for your components depends on a variety of factors, including, but not limited to: the uses of the components; how the components are fabricated; your budget; and whether material appearance...
Tube bending is the ideal solution for many jobs where accuracy and repeatability are essential. Axenics’ in-house computer numeric controlled (CNC) bending machine has vast capabilities, though we highlight a tube bending radius chart below to illustrate our...